Mata ni Pachedi Painting by Artisan Chitara Chandrakant from Gujarat, India (National Awardee)
Hi! I am Chitara Chandrakant, a Mata ni Pachedi painting artist. My father’s name is Shri Chitara Bhulabhai. He was also a Mata ni Pachedi painting artist and was awarded the Shilp Guru Award in the field of Mata ni Pachedi painting.
Mata ni Pachedi painting, also known as Kalamkari of Gujarat, is our ancestral art and I started learning it at the age of eight from my father Late Chitara Bhulabhai. Gradually I became adept in Mata ni Pachedi art.
Mata ni Pachedi was initially done with a mix of Kalamkari and block printing, but I started painting the entire fabric with Kalamkari. I am the first person to do so. I use bamboo sticks, natural colors, and cotton fabrics to make my paintings.
Although I make various designs in Kalamkari painting, Mata ni Pachedi is my favorite subject.
I have 40 years of experience in this field.
Participation in Exhibitions
I have participated in exhibitions and workshops held at:-
• Crafts Museum, New Delhi
• National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
• Bharat Bhawan, Bhopal
• Indian Institute Of Crafts & Design, Jaipur
• National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
• Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi
• Fine Arts College, MS University, Baroda
• Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, Mumbai
• Industrial Design Center, IIT Mumbai
• Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi
• Metro Museum, New Delhi
• The Calico Museum of Textiles, Ahmedabad
• Kasturbhai Lalbhai Museum, Ahmedabad
Foreign Exhibitions & Workshops
• Buckingham Palace, England
• University of Washington School of Public Health, United States
• Konstfack – University of Arts, Crafts and Design, Sweden
• Royal Ontario Museum, Canada
• Tokyo National Museum, Japan
• Victoria and Albert Museum, England
I was awarded the National Merit Award by the Government of India in 1997 and 2001 and the National Award by the Government of India in 2002.
Training Programmes Conducted
Since 1990, I have conducted more than 270 workshops in various schools in India and England.
Please browse my product catalog and contact me to discuss your needs and place your order.